Monday, December 20, 2010

Weekend Update: December 18th & 19th

Well, it's definite.  Christmas is in the air!  It sure felt like Christmas this weekend, too!

Some exciting things that happened in the past week:

* I found out that my masters thesis was accepted for publication in the Child Welfare journal! I had low expectations about this particular study ever being published, despite several attempts by both myself and my advisor.  Although I think the research design is pretty sound, I had very low participation, which makes it difficult for a study to become publishable.  I did get to do a poster presentation at the National Association of School Psychology Conference in Boston, MA back in the winter of 2009, and I was invited to present at the 5th International Conference on Child and Adolescent Psychopathology at Roehampton University in London this past July (although I had to turn down this opportunity).  Anyway, I need to make minor revisions to my article and I hope to see it published early next year.

* A few weeks ago, I started playing the daily sweeps at freebies4mom.com.  I check this website often for coupons, and when I have a few moments, I have been entering some of the sweepstakes.  Although you can play every day, I usually don't have the time, but I have won some fantastic prizes, including 2 $10 Visa gift cards, $10 Starbucks gift card, a cooler ($35 value), and a Playstation Move camera, 2 controllers and the game Tron ($240 value) - that's over $300 in prizes! Pretty cool, huh?

* I finished my dad's family tree! I have been working on this project for over a month, and I'm so excited to give it to him on Christmas.  I plan to post some of the interesting things I have found out about his family in a later post.

On Saturday, my parents, my sister MaryGrace and I took Layla on a Trolley ride with Santa.  I already knew that Layla wasn't a big fan of Saint Nick, but thought this would be fun.  After all, she wouldn't have to sit on his lap.  Boy, was I wrong! After waiting in line in the cold for about 20 minutes, it was our turn.  Layla nearly jumped out of her skin when she saw him, and spent the entire 12 1/2 minute ride clinging to my mom's neck.  Poor kid! She never cried, though, and seemed to enjoy singing the Christmas carols.

On Sunday, we finished up our Christmas shopping and watched the Jets game.  I love watching Layla's reaction to her Daddy - she squeals and dances whenever he cheers!  Here are some pictures from the weekend.







This is Layla's favorite spot in the house.  Usually, the gate is up at the top of the stairs, so she goes around to the kitchen, down those stairs and then around to the stairs at the front of our house.  It's her little cozy spot.  She brings her toys with her and hums and sings to her heart's content.  So cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment