Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cousins, Christmas Trees and Cookies!

I've been wanting to post all week, but just finally got the opportunity to do so! This time of year is hectic and exciting.  To be perfectly honest, for most of my adult life, I've dreaded the holidays.  My childhood Christmas memories are magical - my parents constantly outdid themselves during the month of December.  Our days were filled with shopping in downtown Westfield, decorating the house, baking cookies, making homemade presents, and going to see a play every year that I can remember.  We would also pick a name of a child from our church Christmas giving tree and put lots of thought into buying a present for that child in need.  The holidays were the perfect balance of giving and receiving.

I honestly feel that the season spirals out of control starting on Black Friday.  The name says it all - black, bleak, a day of greed and gluttony.  It is the antithesis of the holiday season.  But it's so hard not to get caught up in the hustle and bustle, the buying, wanting, shopping, worrying.  Time that should be spent contemplating the reason for the season is wasted in chaotic overindulgence.  It is no wonder that I have felt anxious and guilty these past few years.

On top of the shopping frenzy, the quest for the "perfect" gift for my family members defeats the entire purpose of giving.  I can't help but feel that my present must equal my feelings of love and gratitude in it's worth.  How can a sweater for my dad express what a great father and grandfather he is? How does a candle and some tea tell my mom that I would be lost without her guidance and love? And as much as I know Monte will love the drill I bought him, does it adequately let him know that he has exceeded my wildest dreams in every way imaginable?

This year, however, I am working hard to get into the holiday spirit.  I have been enjoying baking cookies, decorating the house and wrapping presents.  I am sure having a child has made all of the difference.  It excites me to see her face light up when we turn on our Christmas tree.  I love seeing her cradle the baby Jesus from our nativity in her hands and give him a kiss.  And what's cuter than a toddler with a Santa hat saying "Ho! Ho! Ho!" (even when she won't sit on the "real" Santa's lap at the mall)?  I think the biggest change is I have even been listening to Christmas music, which is a tradition that I usually save for Christmas Eve.  And as far as presents go, I am trying to believe the adage "It's the thought that counts."   While a pair of gloves may not actually say "Thank you for all that you are to me", I know my family knows how important they are in my life. 

Anyway, it was a full week! My nephews spent two evenings with us at the house and Layla was absolutely thrilled! We made homemade pizza, watched SpongeBob and played lots of games.  Here are some pictures of Layla and the boys playing ball.  It's amazing how a baby gate and 50 balls can keep three kids occupied!




We also went to the Little Gym, did some Christmas shopping and finished decorating the house. Layla loves playing near the Christmas tree.





And Friday, my mom and sister babysat while Monte and I went to his holiday party.  It was a great night out!



Sunday was a relaxing night.  Monte made amazing steaks for dinner and now that the baby is asleep, we're going to bake some sugar cookies.  All in all, a very fun week!

No comments:

Post a Comment