Saturday, May 12, 2012

Layla - 2 years, 9 months


Not one to be upstaged by her little brother, Layla turned 2 years, 9 months today (I know, a monumental milestone), so this post is dedicated to our little hurricane. 

Layla is, as my mother describes her, a pip.  She has more personality packed into her tiny 25 pound body than most people have as adults.  There are multiple times a day when I think to myself, "Where did this kid COME from?"  She's funny, athletic, sensitive, stubborn, energetic, and SMART! She has a massive vocabulary, which she uses appropriately (some of her new words are nervous, frustrated, delectable, safari, adventure and de nada).  She is quick with a joke (Her two favorites:  'Why did the hippopotamus cross the river? To get to the other side!' and 'What's a pirate's favorite letter?  Arrrr!') and understands humor that I would assume is waay over her head, which sometimes gets me in trouble when I don't think she's listening. 



Layla has a seemingly limitless imagination, and the energy to fuel it.  Oftentimes I will be looking for my daughter, but instead find a pirate, superhero, waitress, explorer, or polar bear in her place.  She loves pretend, as long as she has the appropriate accoutrements.  She has been known to leave the house with socks on her hands (her superhero gloves) or to demand that I find her non-existant trench coat when she is playing the role of a "great detective".  Her work is never done, which makes for a difficult bedtime and an exhausted mommy!


She is looking forward to going to school in the fall, and I have no doubt that she will do well academically.  Layla can spell her name and her brother's name, can recognize many uppercase letters and a few letter sounds, and is beginning to write her name.  She just started drawing recognizable pictures of people (the classic "face with arms and legs coming directly out of the head"). She can count to twenty, count backwards from ten, demonstrates one-to-one correspondance, knows her shapes and colors and frequently says, "Teach me, mommy" when she is curious about something.  We are still working on some social behaviors, including listening and following directions and being too aggressive with other kids (much to my horror, she has bit another child and has hit a few more).  I know that these behaviors will improve with age and maturity, so I am trying my best to always be patient.  This is a learning experience for us both!

"Our Family"


















The days at home with this amazing little girl and her brother are long and tiring, but I wouldn't trade a single second.  I am so fortunate to be able to be a stay-at-home mom for the time being and I owe so much to my husband for making it possible for us. 

Here are some recent hilarious quotes by Layla that I want to record, so when she is all grown up, I can tell her what a silly, grateful, intelligent, affectionate child she was:

"Don't try anything funny, Mommy"

(while playing beauty parlor) "Do my hair pretty.  I'm going on a jungle adventure."

(talking to Dylan) "That's RIGHT, Dylan.  We ARE going to the library. (pause)  That's RIGHT, Dylan, we DO need to take the subway."

(wearing my heels) "Bye, Mommy.  I'm going to my wedding at the Little Gym.  I'll miss you."

"Let's have another baby."

"I don't like that commercial.  800-588-2300 Empire!  It scares me."

Layla: "Uh oh!" (runs to get a towel to wipe up a spill)
Me: "Thank you for cleaning up, Layla!"
Layla: "De nada!"

"You're a good teacher, mommy."

(At the park) "AAAHHHH! Mommy that geese is trying to get my butt!"


***

Layla, my little heart wasn't prepared to hold all of the love that it now contains for you.  You're my BEST girl :)

2 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful story of your little Layla. Loved reading it, likewise about Dylan yesterday. Treasure these memories, as your little ones grow up way to fast. Your a wonderful Mommy. Dylan and Layla are sooo very lucky. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim! Happy Mother's Day to you as well. Shannon and I learned from the best. We are lucky to have such wonderful moms (and you and my mom are lucky to have each other as friends!)

    ReplyDelete