Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dylan's Birth Story

This post has been nearly six months in the making, but I wanted to fit it in before Dylan's half year birthday. 

Short Birth Story:

Dylan Thomas Nesheiwat was born on November 5th, 2011 at 9:50 AM at Overlook Hospital in Summit, NJ.  He was 7 lbs, 12 oz and 20 1/2 inches long.  Dylan was delivered by Dr. Gary Kaye, just like his big sister, Layla.

Long Birth Story:

About halfway through my pregnancy, it became evident that I was carrying a rather large baby.  I failed my gestational diabetes screening test (again) and had to endure the unpleasant three hour glucose tolerance test, which I thankfully passed.  My obgyn sent me for extra growth ultrasounds to see just how big this baby was going to be.  When I was 36 weeks pregnant, the baby was measuring at over six pounds and in the ninety-something percentile for length and weight.  There was talk about a scheduled c-section, despite the fact that my first child was on the large size, too.  (Layla was 8 lbs, 6 oz). 



Much to my relief, Dr. Alissa Kaye made the call to schedule an early induction after reviewing the results of my last growth ultrasound.  Although I had been going by a November 17th due date, there was miscommunication between my doctor and the doctor who performed my ultrasounds at the hospital, who estimated my due date as closer to November 10th.  I went in for a scheduled induction on Friday night, November 4th. Here's a picture of me and Layla, before I left for the hospital. 


Monte began a lengthy leave of absence (thank heavens for paternity leave) and planned to spend the night with me, while my mom stayed with Layla. We arrived at the hospital around eight, but due to the high volume of preggo ladies, I didn't get admitted and settled until close to ten at night. Much to the surprise of myself and my nurses, the monitors were showing that I was having contractions! These contractions were completely painless and unnoticable, and I wouldn't have known that I was having them if not for the peaks and valleys on the tocometer. The doctors decided to skip the Cervidil (the drug used to soften the cervix) and start me on some Pitocin.  I drifted off to sleep around midnight and had a surprisingly good night's sleep!

At five in the morning, Dr. Gary Kaye determined that I was about six centimeters dialated and broke my water.  The contractions immediately picked up and within an hour, I received an epidural.  Oh, what a wonderful drug!  The rest of labor went by in a blur.  There were something like four or five other women who were all in labor, including two scheduled c-sections that were set to occur before Dr. Kaye thought I'd deliver.

Here's where the post gets into the "TMI" territory.  After nine o'clock, my nurse (whose son's name is Dylan!) came to drain my urine and I suddenly felt the need to push.  It was as if the baby dropped immediately into position and wanted O-U-T.  Nurses began running to find my doctor, who was just about to deliver another mother's baby.  Everyone scrambled around to get the room ready, they checked that I was ten centimeters dialated, and within about five sets of pushes, Dylan was in my arms!

Hello, Beautiful Boy!





Proud Daddy


Our Newest Addition


This time around, labor was a breeze and I have told everyone that if I knew every labor and delivery would go this smoothly, I'd have a dozen more kids! My recovery time was very short, which was good because the next day, Layla came down with an awful virus and Monte needed to stay home and take care of her.  We were very lucky to have so many family and friends come visit us in the hospital, cook meals for us when we got home and volunteer their time and energy to let us get some rest (and even take a shower every once in a while - ahh, life's little pleasures).

I cannot believe Dylan is almost six months old.  I am finding it hard to remember life before this amazing, happy, adorable child! We love you Dylan!


No comments:

Post a Comment