Friday, January 28, 2011

The Best Meal I Ever Made

There is something about snow days that makes me want to cook! So after the latest storm dumped 15+ inches in our area, I headed to the kitchen.  One of the best things about cooking, as opposed to baking, is the fact that you seldom need a recipe.  Often, I apply this philosophy to my baking adventures, with disastrous consequences.  But on Wednesday I made the EASIEST AND MOST DELICIOUS MEAL I HAVE EVER MADE! 

Sunflower seed butter has become a staple in my kitchen.  It satisfies my peanut butter cravings (it has a surprisingly similar taste) and provides Layla with the fat and protein that is hard to get due to her allergies and pickiness.

Here is my Asian-inspired recipe:

Orange-Soy Drumsticks:

Combine 1 cup of sugar with 1/2 cup of soy sauce (I used a low sodium soy sauce) 1/2 cup of orange juice and 1 tsp of garlic powder.  Place drumsticks in a greased baking pan.  Pour marinade over drumsticks and bake in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees, turn chicken and bake an additional 30 minutes.

Linguine with Sunflower Seed Butter Sauce:

Cook linguine according to package's instructions.   Place shredded carrots in colander and pour pasta over to gently steam.  In a bowl, toss carrots and pasta with 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter and 1/4 cup of soy sauce.  Top with scallions and serve!  This would be delicious with a salad tossed with sesame ginger dressing and mandarin orange slices.



Layla loved this dish and even had seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment