Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Skin Prick Test

Layla had her three-month allergist visit yesterday.  We had been mentally preparing for this appointment since the spring, because we knew that Layla's pediatric allergist wanted to conduct a skin prick test for cow's milk and egg, as she has been exhibiting signs of outgrowing those allergies.  For the past year, Layla has been able to eat baked milk and egg products without incident, which usually signals that the body may be able to outgrow the allergy.  Layla was not able to take any kind of antihistamine for five days prior to the testing, which was why were were extra vigilant with cross-contamination during our Outer Banks vacation.  She also skipped her nightly Zyrtec for seasonal allergies.

I cannot speak for Monte, but I was very surprised when Dr. M told us that he would also be testing for peanuts and treenuts.  Layla's nut allergies have only been diagnosed through blood tests, although she did have some skin reactions to peanut butter as a baby (she never injested it).  When the doctor told me his plan, my heart stopped beating for a few seconds, but I swallowed my emotions to keep it together for Layla's sake.  I fully trust her doctor and I know he would never put Layla in jeopardy, but it hard to know that your child is going to be subjected to not only the pain of the skin prick, but also the very substances that you've been avoiding like the plague for over two years!

All together, Layla was tested for almonds, cashews, egg whites, milk, peanuts, walnuts and histamines.  Let me just say that Layla is the BRAVEST little girl I have ever met! Braver than her mom, that's for sure.  Besides for saying that she was nervous before the visit, she was SUCH a trooper and didn't even flinch when she was pricked.  She was very itchy and couldn't scratch, but was happy when mommy and daddy blew on her back.  She past the time waiting for the results (20 long minutes!) by watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates on dad's phone.


Unfortunately, Layla has not outgrown any of the allergens that she was tested for.  Monte and I were a bit numb when we left the doctor's office because we had such hopes that she was doing well with milk and egg products, but we have hope that this will change in the next few years.  I hope that maybe by Layla's fifth (or eighth, or tenth....) birthday we can celebrate with pizza and ice cream! If not, that's how the nut-free cookie crumbles, I guess. 


No comments:

Post a Comment