Thursday, July 5, 2012

My 30th Birthday

If I am going to be totally honest, I will tell you that I was really dreading turning 30.  I have never been very focused on age as a number and I truly believe that you are only as old as you feel.  But 30??  Seriously?!  I still feel as if I am getting away with something when I order a drink.  Hell, I hesitate for a moment when the lifeguards blow the whistle for adult swim before realizing that yes, I am an adult and I can stay in the water! I thought that with each new milestone in my life, I would finally feel like a grown-up.  Yet despite having multiple degrees, being married, owning a home, and having two children, I still have a lot of growing to do.      

I am trying to enter my thirties with a positive attitude and some new resolutions.  I want to continue to develop as a mom and wife, two of my newer roles that seem to require constant tweaking and refinement.  I also want to give up the things that are a drain on my energy, namely guilt that I am not doing enough or doing things wrong and anxiety about life events that are out of my control.  I also want to focus on carving out time for myself, which is something that sounds easy but is surprisingly difficult.

Anyway, I had an excellent birthday.  My parents and MaryGrace came over in the morning and showered me with presents and, even better, coffee cake.  Monte took off in the afternoon and we made a last minute decision to take a ride down to the boardwalk.  Before we left, he had the kids give me a card, which said that they found a babysitter so we could go see Once on Broadway on July 18th!  I am so excited and really looking forward to spending the day in the city with Monte and seeing a show that I've been dying to see!  Thanks Mom for agreeing to babysit again!

On Saturday, we celebrated again with some family and friends at Martell's Tiki Bar in Point Pleasant.  We had an enjoyable evening.  Thanks everyone for coming out (and thanks again to my parents and sister for watching the rugrats!!)








No comments:

Post a Comment